Highlights for Instagram are an easy and effective way to… well, highlight, what you’d like your audience to see as soon as they land on your Instagram profile (aside from your name and bio of course). They’re the perfect touch for letting visitors know what your business is about right from the first tap – whether it’s services, products, events, or more.
Unlike Instagram Stories that disappear after 24 hours, Highlights live on your profile for you to edit and add to as much as you’d like. (And yes, in order to create Highlights, you’ll first need to create Stories.)
Need a quick break-down on how to construct these valuable, little content holders? You’re in the right place.
Steps to Set Up Highlights on Instagram
1. First, go to your Instagram profile.
2. Tap the three lines in the top right hand corner, click Settings > Privacy > Story. Scroll down to make sure that “Save Story to Archive” is toggled on (and make sure you have some past Stories to share). Then, return to your profile.
3. In the very top right-hand corner there should be a “+” sign across from your name, click that next.
4. A window will pop up titled “Create”.
5. Click the 3rd option that says “Story Highlight”.
6. It will bring up all of your past stories where you can select the ones you want to add to that specific Highlight. Select a few and after that, click “Next” in the top right corner.
7. Name your Highlight and change the cover by clicking on the image – you can use the highlight image itself or pull from your camera roll (do this by clicking on the Highlight image, then click the mountain-sun illustration after the new window pops up).
8. After making those changes, click “Done”.
9. Next, click “Add” in the top right corner.
Ta-da! The Highlight should then pop up on your profile.
Congratulations, you’re now an Instagram Highlight master!